Thursday, April 26, 2007

a story

2Corinthians 6:14

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

I grew up spiritually in an environment that placed a strong value on holiness. We believed that God's people were to live their lives in a way that was "set apart" for Him and His kingdom. It was a unique spiritual family, and one I am thankful for. It was "full time" in the sense that we didn't have outside jobs, and lived together in community. We worked together in a variety of ways to pay the bills, sharing a life of worship, prayer, and service. Then, my wife and I felt that the Lord was leading us to leave that community, and go back into the "real world." I say that with a little sarcasm in my heart today. We were often criticized for living in an artificial environment, isolated from the realities of everyday life that most people have to deal with. Looking back, I think that the kingdom of darkness really hated what we had. Our life looked very much like the church in the book of Acts. We didn't have the everyday miracles, but we lived a life together that strengthened even the weakest among us to walk in pretty consistent spiritual victory. It wasn't perfect. Not even close. We had our problems. We were quite vulnerable to legalism. And eventually sin crept into the leadership in some pretty significant ways, ultimately leading to the downfall of the ministry. But we had something special. The grace of God was present in our midst. Twenty years later, when I see someone from that time, there is an immediate and deep connection. We gave ourselves sacrificially to the kingdom of God together, and it forged a bond of love in our hearts. I will treasure that season of my life forever.

And then we moved on. My wife and I felt it was time to leave. We thought we were going to the east coast to work with another ministry we had become friendly with, but Jesus had other plans. We came to Kansas City to be near my family for a while, and plan our next steps. And here we are, over twenty years later. I expected to be here a few years at the very most. And God just smiles. He had been preparing us to come and be part of something He was doing in the city where I was born. That's a bunny trail. My point is, we left the "artificial" environment of the community we lived in to follow Jesus in the "real world."

And that's been hard. Its been good, too. We have made deep friendships with wonderful folks that we share our lives with. But its been hard. Hard to maintain the life of devotion and love to God that I believe we are called to. I have experienced the parable of the sower firsthand. The cares of the world will choke out the word of God in our lives, if we let them. And then, to make things worse, much of "the church" will tell you that its supposed to be that way. Grace means we can do what we want, when we want and God doesn't care anymore. It's all "under the blood." And this life is about enjoying the world and all it has to offer as much as we can until we have to leave and go to heaven. Its a seductive and dangerous deception, but I am not buying it anymore.

More to come.

Titus 2:11

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

No comments: