Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Come away...

Song of Solomon 2:10

My beloved speaks and says to me: "Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away,

The Lord's longing for intimacy with us is absolutely amazing. I could sit here all day and search for words to describe it. And that's all it would be, a description. Talking about His love for us is like talking about a great meal. I can look at a table that has been set with the finest food prepared by a world-class chef. I can tell you how good it looks, describe it in detail, and list all the awards the chef has won. That's not the point. Sitting down at the table and partaking of his culinary creations is the point. When that food enters your mouth, and you enjoy the rich flavors that he has brought together... that's what its all about. Its like that with God's love for us. We can talk about it, we can define it theologically, and even break it down into its many attributes. And that can be helpful. Those ideas can be used by the Holy Spirit to create hunger in our hearts. When I stand at look at that table full of food, my mouth will start to water. When I hear of the beauty and greatness of His love, my heart will start to yearn for more. I start to long for the experience of that love.

And that's the point.

"Arise, my love, my beautiful one, and come away,"

He wants to bring us into the experience of His love. If we will put aside the things of this world, find a quiet place, and wait for Him, He will bring us into that love in tender and wonderful ways. And as we spend that time with Him, we will be transformed into His image. His love will be poured into our hearts, and we will become one with Him, as He is one with His Father.

I want that.

No comments: