Friday, March 16, 2007

Called to victory

Okay... there is another blogger out there now that probably thinks I am a bit of a jerk. I stumbled across his site this evening, and one of his early statements pushed one of my theological buttons, so I wrote a rather lengthy reply in his comment section. He was sharing his thoughts about our struggle with sin, and he made this comment:

We don't just *commit* sins we *ARE* sinners.

Now, I realize that for the committed Calvinists out there, this is a no-brainer. Its a main point in that whole tulip thing. The problem is, like several other petals on that flower, it just doesn't jive with scripture. Here is what I wrote in his comment section.

I don't know, Robert. That's a popular refrain of the tulip people, but I think the scriptures say that when we are born again we become a new creation; the old has passed away, behold, all things are made new. Peter says we are given everything pertaining to life and godliness. Jesus, Paul, Peter... they all challenge us to a life of victory and loving obedience to the ways of God.

In his letter to Titus, Paul said,

"Tit 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.


and a little bit later he continues,

Tit 3:3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

The true grace of God doesn't just change our position before God. It changes our hearts and empowers us to to walk in victory over sin. Sinless perfection? No. Consistent and growing victory over the world, the flesh, and the devil? Yes.

I apologize for seeming to be argumentative here in your blog. I just get weary of our calvinized American version of Christianity that seems more focused on our "total depravity" than His total victory. He came to set us free from our sin, not just the guilt of our sin. The Spirit of the living God lives inside us. We forget that Romans 7 is immediately followed by Romans 8. I don't want to get into a debate. I just encourage you to focus on His strength in you rather than your weakness in your flesh.

How do you see yourself? Are you a sinner who struggles to love God? Or are you a lover of God who struggles with sin? Those are hugely different perspectives. I believe that God wants us to walk in the latter. As I read back over your blog entry, I think you do walk in this. I just want to encourage you to let the Holy Spirit fill your heart with the knowledge of His desire and power to lead you into all that He has for you.

I haven't achieved this by any stretch of the imagination, but with Paul, "I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own... I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Obviously, from the title of your blog, you are reaching for the same.

Blessings.

I am sorry, but I get tired of hearing, "I'm just a sinner saved by grace," as an excuse for a carnal self-centered religion masquerading as the salvation Jesus shed his blood to provide. I am not accusing Robert of this, but its a common malady in the church. And its a deception, and an affront to God. He wants to give us victory, but He also tells us to crucify the flesh. I struggle with sin. I am more thankful every day for the grace and mercy of God. If not for His incredible, incomprehensible patience and love, I would be in a whole heap of trouble. But He has called me to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." Salvation is not a free pass out of hell. Its a restored relationship with the Creator and Lover of our souls. If we don't see that, we wont give Him the kind of love, and devotion, and worship of which He is worthy.

"This is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God..." Jesus

I want that. More than anything. To know Him... deeply, intimately. And I want everyone to know that this is what He desires for them to have. His Spirit, living inside of them. This is the good news we are commissioned to take to the ends of the earth. He offers us the gift of righteousness, but He calls us to humbly bow before Him in full surrender. Its the only way that He can have His good way fully in us.

This sort of writing aggravates a lot of folks. American christianity is committed to avoiding any feelings of discomfort or guilt at all costs. We go to great lengths to construct theological systems that make us feel good no matter how we are living. As long as we think we are "going to heaven", then evvvvverything is okay.

Religious lies are the most powerful tools of the kingdom of darkness.

I am going to stop... for now.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Hey brian- well let me say first of all. i do not think you are a big jerk lol and i appreciate your comment. Funny thing is I am NOT a calvinist NOOOOOOOOOOo WAYYYYYYYYY I guess in writing a bkog you are bound to make foibles of one kind or another. I realize the point you make about us being *new creatures in Christ* I was basically writing of my desire to BE THAT and the various obstacles i have in my life or run itno which frustrate that. Feel free to read my archives if you ever want to I sure hope we agree more than what you saw on this one post. My daily prayer is to wrestle with God so i recive the wound and the blessing and to fully realize His call to be *dead to sin and self* blessings brother!!!

kc bob said...

Amen Brian. The miracle of the new birth gives us a chance to live from our heart. I think that most sin comes from trying to live our lives from our heads instead of our hearts.

MJ said...

Go read lifeofthway.blogspot.com
the second mouse. I think you will really like it.