Tuesday, March 13, 2007

About the Newt

I guess I have been "out of the loop" in the Christian news world. Apparently James Dobson's interview of Newt Gingrich is causing quite the stir. I was reading a friend's blog about it, and the comments that followed, and then threw in my two bits, which follow.

Newt is simply a broken man, and probably not much different than the rest of us. We have no idea if he even really knows the Lord. The real problem is the illegitimate marriage of the church and politics. Whether its James Dobson on the right, or Jim Wallis on the left, its a mistake. Politics is about earthly government and controlling people's behaviour. The kingdom is about changed hearts and living like the heroes of Hebrews 11.

"These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city."

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world."

Most of American Christianity wants all that this world has to offer, and heaven for dessert. Newt is not the problem. Our self-centered, carnal religious system posing as the faith of the Bible is our problem.

That was my comment. I am not against being politically aware, or even politically active as a Christian. Jesus calls people to be His body in every walk of life. I do have serious concerns, though, about the corporate church becoming a player in the political realm. Even a cursory survey of history will tell us that this usually turns out really bad. We will end up representing God as either Republican or Democrat, and I don't think He would run as either party's candidate.

"My kingdom is not of this world."

He really said that.

6 comments:

Paula said...

It's a hard thing to grasp. How to be in the world but not of it. I keep grappling with the fact that Christ lived in immoral times with bad government and yet never incited rebellion or challenged His followers to change the government. The thing that complicates it here, is that we are the government. We aren't under a tyranny...so how does that change our responsibility? And yet I completely agree that the changes have to be in the hearts of men. Without renewed hearts there is no hope.
In thinking of legislating morality, radical Islan has produced countries where premarital sex, alchohol abuse, abortion and other immoral behavior are not allowed. But what has that accomplished apart from spiritual rebirth? So while I have to believe in laws to govern moral behavior, I know that they aren't the answer.
I feel like I have been contradicting myself, and maybe I have been, but that's where I am.

Brian said...

I totally understand the conflict you are feeling. I wrestle with the same things. I think the key is to keep the big picture in view. We should care for the poor, and carry a burden in our hearts for the sins of our nation, but we have to believe that Jesus is going to return, and eventually create a new heavens and earth "where righteousness dwells" II Peter 3:13. In the meantime, we do what we can in His love, pray for spiritual awakening in our land, and let our light shine in the darkness as Jesus told us to in the sermon on the mount. When we try to take over the government, we only put people on the defensive, so that they won't hear the gospel. When we serve and lay down our lives as He did on the cross, they can see His love and He can win their hearts.

MJ said...

I wrote this poem in June and thought since it was so applicable to the conversation, I would share...Yesterday I got a letter from focus on the family requesting funds because they are having financial difficulty and I was so tempted to print this up and stick it in the evelope and send it to them in lieu of a donantion. Anyway, sorry for Hijacking your blog, but I fgured it was better than sending you to look for it on mine.

I don’t like James Dobson
The same way some people don’t like certain ball players
He needs to get benched
I want to say Mr Dobson,
Can I call you Jim?
Where is your Jesus?
Does he live in Washington, D.C.?
Is this his kingdom?
Are we of this world?
If I were the coach,
I think I'd call him outta there
But I am not the coach and he is my brother
So I gotta say
I love you
Because my father told me to
So I love you James Dobson
Even though you are mouthy and opinionated
And you have bad Republican hair.
But I wish you could say the same to all those
Liberal democrats
And more importantly I wish you would do the same
I wish they would know his grace through you
Instead of knowing that you think they are ruining America.
Because maybe you are ruining America.
Maybe I am ruining America.
Maybe we all are
I’m arrogant and proud too.
I think I know better than you.
I’ll repent that later
But I just have to say
You polarize too many things and have made us all appear divisive and pushy
And I am not too sure about you
After all, I don’t think Jesus would argue about gay marriage
He didn’t really seem to care at all about politics.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s Mr. Dobson.
Give to God
What is God’s.
They will know us by our love.
What do they know you by?

MJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

You know what is really sad? When Dobson is talking about the kingdom, and how we walk that out in daily life, he has some real wisdom and is very fatherly and likeable. The problem is, he can't help getting caught up in "saving" America. He can't seem to trust God that He will have His way in our nation and world, if we will just trust Him and walk in His ways. I think his intentions are good, but he and the others like Falwell are motivated by fear. "If we dont DO something, our nation will go to hell in a handbasket!" They don't see the big picture. They don't have eternity in mind. They just seem to be preoccupied with salvaging the "fat and happy" prosperity that America has known for so long. Its not about the kingdom and glory of God. Its about maintaining the status quo. Its a deception, and it has blinded the minds of many well-intentioned people.

Robert said...

hwy brian thank you very much for the comments you left me on my blog. I greatly appreciate it and agree with alot of what you said. i think you make a very good point here as well. We need to focus on loving people with the same love with which He loved us. Shows no matter who you are you always need to humble yourself before God and seek His wisdom