Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Longing

Earthly prosperity. I am wondering, is it a blessing or a curse? I guess it depends partly on how you define it. We all want to have what we need, and that is the most basic definition of prosperity. To be without need. No, I am speaking of a much higher level of prosperity. The kind we have experienced in America for the past sixty years or so. We have gone way beyond having what we need. Even the majority of our poor have what they need. The poor of the rest of the world are starving. Its not uncommon for the poor of America to struggle with obesity. I am talking about a prosperity that never really has to think about what I need, but always about what I want. That level of society-wide prosperity in a fallen world is dangerous. We seem to have become a "culture of covetousness." We have an insatiable hunger for more, and bigger, and better. Do I think it would be better for people to suffer in need? Maybe. Sometimes. Do I think that this is God's heart for people? No, not ultimately. I do know this, though. When you look at the history of His dealings with Israel, He would put them in a place of need when their hearts grew hard towards Him. We call it judgment. Judgment is not destruction. Judgment is God saying "I love you too much to let you destroy yourselves in sin." It's His way of getting our attention. It's making us aware of our need for Him. On a human level we call it "tough love."

I think the American church is on a crash course with some Tough Love.

Paul wrote to Timothy,

Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Do we love His appearing? Does our heart long to be wholly joined to Jesus? Paul said in another place that he would rather go to be with the Lord than to stay here on earth. Peter talked about a lifestyle for the believer that would hasten the coming of the Lord. Do we think like those guys? Would we rather go be with Him than continue to enjoy the pleasures of the earthly life? Are we longing for the day when He will come to judge the earth and fully establish His kingdom?

But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Is that the deepest desire of our inner man? Or do we love this present world? Do we want to squeeze every possible drop of pleasure out of this life, and then "go to heaven" when we die? Is that what our faith is all about?

Lord... give me a heart that longs for more of You, and all that You have for me.

No comments: