Friday, February 10, 2006

Try to follow me here...

Okay... so I'm driving down the road listening to a teaching cd today, and Greg Boyd is talking about how God is grieved when wealthy people and poor people live alongside one another and the wealthy are unwilling to use the resources He has given them to help those in need. This makes me think about how I heard Mike Bickle talking another time about how we perceive God's emotions. When He thinks about you, is He mostly glad, or mostly mad? And then I start to think about how God experiences emotions. When someone in my house has made me mad, everyone in the house at that time gets to experience Dad as mad. (two quick points.... #1 This is purely theoretical. Anyone who knows me understands that I NEVER get mad. and #2 We are talking about anger, as opposed to insanity. I might lose the argument on point #1 if we were discussing sanity.) Now...as I was saying, I was thinking about God and His emotions. When I am happy, I am pretty much happy with everyone. When I am mad, or sad, that is the version of Brian that everyone in the room experiences. But God is not that way. You can be in a room with 100 people, and each of them can be in a different place with the Lord. With one He can be joyful as they seek to follow Him and love Him with all their heart. With another He can be grieved because they are hurting themselves with drugs, or immorality, or greed. With another, He might be sharing their sadness over the loss of a loved one, or some other pain they are experiencing. Each one is in a different place, and relating to God in a different way. And He is able all at once to relate to each one of them the way that His wisdom and love move His heart. Incredible. His presence is in the room with 100 people, and yet it is almost as if you were the only one there with Him. He is awesome.

(Right now you may be thinking, "Duh!" Thats okay... its still awesome.)

No comments: