Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Song of Songs

Song of songs 1:2-3

For your love is better than wine; your anointing oils are fragrant; your name is oil poured out; therefore virgins love you.

How have I missed the beauty of this book for so long? Oh, I have read it before, numerous times. Except for the Old Testament genealogies, I have read most of the scriptures numerous times. That just happens when you read the same book for over thirty years. But I have never before touched the revelation of His great love that we find in the Song of Solomon. Writing about it brings frustration though. This is not truth that you wrestle with and grasp with the mind, and then wax eloquent over coffee with a friend. No, this is truth you want to experience. This book, tucked away in the middle of the Bible, is like a window into the Kingdom. You meet Him there, you look into His eyes, you are touched by the love. You worship. I hesitate to write about it. I don't want to sound like I am trying to impress anyone with my spirituality. At the same time, I want to encourage anyone who would wander across this writing as they surf through blogdom, to take time to wait before the Lord in this wonderful little portion of the scriptures. Allow the Lord to refresh your heart with His presence and the revealing of His love for you.

Psalm 27:4 One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.

Lord, give me the heart of David. Give me a heart that sees that "your love is better than wine".

1 comment:

MJ said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this book. I went and read the whole thing and the poem "Drawn From Your Song" is written out of inspiration from so doing. So thank you for the inspiration.