Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Jeremiah

One of those sober mornings. How easily we are blinded. In my youth, it was easy to see how evil and degraded our nation had become. Sexual immorality and perversion, covetousness and materialism, violence, injustice… these were rampant in our society. Twenty five years later, things have only become worse. The media is probably the clearest window into our rebellion against what we know in our hearts to be true. We love to entertain ourselves with the things that God declares to be evil. The progression of what we deem acceptable fare for prime time viewing is extremely revealing. (no pun intended) This was all clear to me when I was young. I carried the burden of it in my heart in prayer every day. I continually asked for God to have mercy and to raise up prophetic voices who could awaken our nation and lead it to Him. And then I got married, started having kids, started a business… all the normal stuff of life. My days got busier and busier. My earthly responsibilities and concerns grew steadily. And along the way, my heart started to grow hard. The darkness wasn’t as dark as it used to be. The gray area between black and white grew continually larger. My love for Jesus and truth was growing cold. Somewhere along the way, I lost my first love. It wasn’t a conscious turning away from Him. I didn’t decide one day that I know longer wanted to follow Jesus. Its a long slow process, almost imperceptible. Its a gradual dullness that works its way into your soul. Its like falling asleep. That’s the best way to describe it actually. You dont know it when you fall asleep. It just happens. You only know you have been asleep when something wakes you up. Fortunately, the Lord is extremely patient and merciful. It feels like I am being awakened. At this point its like a gentle shaking. And I want to be responsive, so it doesn’t need to turn into a stronger shaking. But… I want Him to do whatever it takes. I want Him, and His kingdom above all else.

So… Jeremiah. I sat down to meditate in the Word, and I felt like the Spirit said to turn to Jeremiah 4. I can't begin to write down all that I see there. The bottom line is, His merciful judgment is coming to awaken us, and we are invited ahead of time to repent from our selfishness and sin, and come under His grace and protection. It doesn’t mean we wont be touched by the things that are coming, but we will be enabled to stand strong in Him. Not only that, but He will be glorified in His people who will return to Him.

Jeremiah 4:1-2
"If you will return, O Israel," declares the LORD,
"Then you should return to Me.
And if you will put away your detested things from My presence,
And will not waver,
And you will swear, 'As the LORD lives,'
In truth, in justice and in righteousness;
Then the nations will bless themselves in Him,
And in Him they will glory."

Our repentance is salvation to us and to those around us who, "see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16). He loves us, and in that love He pursues us and calls us out of our sin. He knows that sin will keep us from His good and kind purpose, and eventually destroy us. That’s why His judgment is by nature merciful. Its like spanking a small child who is intent on playing in the street. There is no pleasure for the parent in the spanking. His love requires him to teach the child wisdom.

Later He says, "Wash your heart from evil, O Jerusalem, that you may be saved. " God has one purpose in mind, that we may be saved. He loves us in a way that we cannot fully comprehend. He only desires to bring us to a place where we can experience all He has for us.

Lord, help me hear your voice, see your goodness, love, and wisdom, and surrender my heart fully to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right On Dude. Maybe when I get to Revelation chapter 17 I'll let you tackle that puppy. It is the most complicated chapter in Revelation. Mike Bickle made that statement years ago and now I know it to absolutely true.

It is amazing how God is breathing upon our hearts and making us so aware that now is the day of preparation. I have never really seen the power of God manifested at the touch of my hands or at the utterances that come forth from my mouth, but lately I almost since I am having to some degree the same experience that John the Baptist had. I feel like I am beginning to cry in the wilderness, and my cry is this "Prepare ye way of the Lord, prepare ye the way of the kingdom". Part of me has a small amount of excitement, but mostly I am sobered in my thinking, because I continually hear the Spirit say "there is no turning back for you, because if you do you will not be fit for my kingdom". I know exactly what this means! He is telling me He wants to once and for all deliver me from the fear of man.It really is a fearful and awesome thing to fall into the hands of the Living God.

He is coming back for a pure and spotless bride and only He has the wisdom and the know how to purify us in His way. We may think we know how He will do it, but I am not so sure anymore. All I know is that I bow before Him and humble myself by crying out "Yes Lord do what You have to do to make me a kingdom warrior that brings honor and glory to you."

John the baptist lost his head in the end. "Lord help to be prepared and ready to lose mine for You and Your Kingdom.